Image Map

Sunday 11 November 2012

Remembrance Day





I feel like I have been a bit MIA lately. First I would like to say welcome to my newest followers I hope you enjoy coming on my blogging journey with me. Life has been busy lately I have had to start looking for a new job as my contract ends this year at my current school, I have to tell you that I am terribly sad to leave this school.  As well as that I am in the middle of writing reports like many others around the country.


Today is Remembrance Day in Australia, which is a day near and dear to my heart as many of you may know my husband is in the military and has had to deploy overseas on more than one occasion.  This year I feel an even closer link to this special day because earlier in the year I had the opportunity to find my Great Grandfathers World War 1 grave in Villers Brettenoux in France.  It was a very moving experience to realise that to date I have been the only family member that has ever visited his grave and most likely the only family member who will get that opportunity.  I also visited the battle ground where he was received the wounds that later proved fatal.



Pte William George Muir




Commonwealth War Memorial Villers Brettenoux, France


Tomorrow my class will be viewing these photos and talking about why we have Remembrance Day, we make poppies and collate them into a class wreath for display.  My students also will do some writing about why we remember our fallen soldiers.  I also like to take in some photos of my husband for them to view, I think it is important for them to know that we still have soldiers on the front line and serving today.

If you would like a copy of the writing sheet just click on the link below to grab a free copy




Hope you all have a great week and it is time for me to get back to writing reports :)

8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Tania. What a great experience to get to go to France and visit the sights you did. Your activity sheet looks great!

    Thank you to your husband and all he does for us! He is on deployment at the moment, isn't he?

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! It was such a great experience to be able to visit that site, amazing and heart breaking. I am lucky to have my hubby home right now. He got back from Afghanistan in late July after 7 mths away, lucky for him he was just in time for my 40th birthday in August. :)

      Delete
    2. I get goosebumps on ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day - It would have been emotional... That's lovely to have him home Tania - enjoy your day with him - fingers crossed you have your reports finished soon so you can relax. xx

      Delete
  2. Even though you are only family member to visit your great grandfathers grave, the rest of Australia remember the sacrafice that he and many like him made, and continue to make, to defend our country. One word to describe him and your husband - heroes.

    Kylie
    Down Under Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, thank you so much for those words. Sometimes it is hard to know if people outside the military understand the sacrifice they make. Brings a tear to my eye to read that comment.
      Tania

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I am so thankful to those who serve today and served in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tania,

    I was wondering if I could grab a copy of this worksheet? The link seems to be dead. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to send it to you just email me at classroomponderings@gmail.com. I think when dropbox upgraded the links broke, so I have a bit of updating to do

      Delete